Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Grandpa Ito


My Grandpa Vicente Herrera -Valle.  

Born in Apulco, Jalisco, Mexico in 1930, he was a loving father and grandfather.  

He was also an accomplished painter, sculptor and carpenter.  While living in Mexico, he had his own carpentry shop and since moving to the States, he made many a side table and frame to beautify not only his own home, but mine and my aunts and uncles as well. 


I remember as a child, playing in his garage turned workshop, using his wooden sculptures to hide behind, and asking him to use those skills to build us a tree house...which he did.


More recently, my mother began buying him chili plants.  He would go through them so quickly, eating the chili's like candy.  

When we were kids, my sister and I challenged our younger brother to eat a jalapeno from grandpa's bowl.  He did, and he got so angry at us when we gave him a glass of water to wash it down with.


I remember my Grandpa as a cultured, serious man with a stern demeanor, but I'm learning now that he had a great sense of humor.  Something that is very apparent in pictures and stories shared - and it makes me wish I'd paid more attention.  We called him Ito, short for abuelito...probably his idea, come to think of it.


My grandpa Vicent Herrera-Valle, passed away one week before father's day at 81 years old, but our memories will keep him with us forever.  

R.I.P
April 1930-June 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment